The La Vista Public Library is now offering limited curbside pick-up service to patrons.
This service is available to those who currently have a library card and will take place Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
There are three options to request materials from the Library during this time:
- Call 402-537-3900
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Place a hold on the desired materials by visiting the Library’s online catalog (www.cityoflavista.org/librarycatalog), and logging in to your account.
Patrons can request up to five items every seven days and must have less than $60 in overdue fines.
Our library may be closed for the time being, but we’re still here for you! Our full-time staff is still reporting to work and our eLibrary resources aren’t going anywhere! From music downloads to streaming video to eMagazines and of course eBooks and Audiobooks, it’s literally all right here! Visit our website, www.cityoflavista.org/eLibrary for the full list of resources!
Need Help with eLibrary Resources?
The library has a wealth of online resources for you to use during this time, free of charge! If you need help accessing these resources, send an e-mail to email@example.com and the passwords will be sent to you.
Free Resources During Coronavirus
IRS Federal Tax Forms – www.irs.gov
Nebraska State Tax Forms - https://revenue.nebraska.gov/about/forms/individual-income-tax-forms
user name: Keepreading
Free sites anyone can access:
Art, Culture & Design
A Guide to Virtual Museum Resources, E-Learning, and Online Collections - curated by MCN (Museum Computer Network), who "envision a world in which all museums are empowered digitally to achieve their missions."
North Carolina Digital Heritage Center - explore original materials from 272 libraries, museums, and archives across North Carolina.
Virtual Field Trips - 30+ field trips you can take from the comfort of your home!
Virtual Museum Tours - curated by Travel & Leisure.
Free home crafting bundle. Lots of fun printables that might make a good package: https://www.creativefabrica.com/product/the-free-home-crafting-bundle/
The National Emergency Library
During this unprecedented time in history, access to printed books is becoming difficult or impossible. COVID-19 is forcing students, educators, and everyday readers to rely on digital books more than ever before. That’s why the Internet Archive has temporarily suspended all waitlists, allowing you to immediately check out any of the 1.4 million books currently in our lending library. Until June 30th or the end of the US national emergency (whichever comes later), every borrowable book will be immediately accessible by anyone—creating, in effect, a National Emergency Library.
Audio Book Cloud - an all-ages online audio book library collection of streaming audio books for schools and libraries.
Authors Everywhere - a YouTube Channel created and run by children’s book writers and illustrators. On this channel, you’ll find workshops, readings, activities, art projects, writing games, writing advice, and more.
KidLit TV - online read-alouds, kid lit podcasts, activities and more. KidLit TV is a winner of the Parents’ Choice Gold Award, the Norton Juster Award for Devotion to Literacy, and one of the American Library Association’s Great Websites For Kids.
Loyal Books (formerly Books Should Be Free) - thousands of free eBooks and audiobooks in the public domain.
Open Library - over 1,000,000 free eBook titles, mostly in the public domain. Also includes a growing lending library of over 200,000 contemporary titles.
Project Gutenberg - a collection of over 60,000 free eBooks in the public domain.
Romance Book Cloud - more than 1700 romance eBooks. Read to your heart’s content!
Storyline Online - the SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s award-winning children’s literacy website, Storyline Online, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations. Readers include Viola Davis, Chris Pine, Lily Tomlin, Kevin Costner, Annette Bening, James Earl Jones, Betty White and dozens more.
Here’s a great tool that will help the whole homeschooling thing. All library cardholders now have access to TumbleBooks, which is a clearinghouse of thousands of ebooks for all ages! La Vista Library patrons will enjoy unlimited access from home with no checkouts, no holds and no bulky downloads and the books are available instantly! We have all the usernames and passwords below:
TumbleBooks Usernames & Passwords
All About Birds - online guide to birds and bird watching.
Digital collections of the State Archives of North Carolina and the State Library of North Carolina.
Digital Public Library of America - includes primary source sets for educators preparing to teach remotely during the COVID-19 outbreak. Each set contains a variety of primary sources, context, lesson plans, discussion questions and student activities.
Learning At Home - a Wakelet list curated by Joyce Valenza, Assistant Professor Rutgers University SC&I, teacher-librarian, a Milken Educator, a Google Certified Teacher, and a Library of Congress American Memory Fellow.
Scholastic Learn At Home - daily themed lessons created by staff a Scholastic Classroom Magazine, for Pre-K through Grades 6+.
Tumble Math - math eBooks for kids in grades K-6. Read books about math concepts online and take quizzes to help master the concept learned.
World Book Online - free access to World Book Encyclopedia (through April 30) as well as nonfiction eBooks, early learning resources, activities and crafts, and much more. (If you are not automatically logged in, enter username wbsupport and password distancelearn.)
Folkstreams - documentary films of American Culture
Internet Archive - a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.
Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum - tour digital collections, view archival footage and listen to rare recordings.
Grammy Museum At Home - the GRAMMY Museum will make never-before-released content from the GRAMMY Museum archives available to the public. Each day will spotlight a different pillar of the Museum’s Mission.
Nightly Met Opera Streams - every day for the duration of the Met’s closure due to the coronavirus pandemic, a different encore presentation from the company’s Live in HD series will be made available for free streaming on the Met website, with each performance available for a period of 20 hours, from 7:30 p.m. EDT until 3:30 p.m. the following day. The schedule will include outstanding complete performances from the past 14 years of cinema transmissions, starring all of opera’s greatest singers.
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - free online learning resources. Sign up for a free membership to Rock Hall EDU and access lesson plans, activity sheets, presentations, videos, playlists, and digitized primary source materials from the Rock Hall’s library and archives.
Center for Puppetry Arts @ Home - workshops, museum tours, and puppet shows from your home for FREE!
Museum of Photographic Arts - view online exhibitions and learn about photography through videos and other online resources.
National Geographic Photography - view the Photo of the Day, Series, Galleries, and more.
Online Resources to Help Adults Stay Sane in the Time of COVID -19
Art Collections and Museums
- Art Institute of Chicago - 44,000+ Images - https://www.artic.edu/collection
- Blarney Castle – Virtual Tour- https://www.virtualvisittours.com/blarney-castle/
- British Museum of London- https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection
- Louvre Museum, Paris- https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne
- Acropolis Museum, Athens- https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/acropolis-museum?hl=en
- History Connected https://britishmuseum.withgoogle.com/
- Museum of Modern Art - https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/moma-the-museum-of-modern-art
- Metropolitan Museum- Series of You Tube videos- https://www.metmuseum.org/art/online-features/met-360-project/11-dramatic-virtual-tours-of-stages-around-the-world/1gJiszMqltReJA
- Guggenheim Museum - https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/solomon-r-guggenheim-museum?hl=en
- Dali Museum- https://thedali.org/virtual-tour/
- Picasso Museum- http://www.bcn.cat/museupicasso/en/museum/presentation.html
- Museum views from around the world https://artsandculture.google.com/search/streetview?project=streetviews
National Museum of Natural History https://naturalhistory.si.edu/visit/virtual-tour/current-exhibits
National Portrait Gallery
- Eye to I Exhibit https://npg.si.edu/exhibition/eye-i-self-portraits
- First Ladies - https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/first-ladies/OAJS1lr5txbLJQ
Aquariums and Zoos
- Monterey Bay Aquarium- https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/live-cams
- National Aquarium- https://www.aqua.org/Experience/live
- Cincinnati Zoo- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEKhSO4WiX0&feature=emb_logo
- Explore.org Live Nature Cams- https://explore.org/livecams
- Houston Zoo- https://www.houstonzoo.org/explore/webcams/
- San Diego Zoo - https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/
- Smithsonian National Zoo- https://nationalzoo.si.edu/webcams/panda-cam
- Wildearth, South Africa- Live streaming safaris- https://www.twitch.tv/wildearth
Coloring Pages and Books for Adults
- Color our Collections- Art from over 100 Museums http://library.nyam.org/colorourcollections/
Free College Courses Online
- Carnegie Melon Open Learning- https://oli.cmu.edu/students/
- Coursera- https://www.coursera.org/
- EDX- https://www.edx.org/
- Future Learn- https://www.futurelearn.com/
- Harvard Online- https://online-learning.harvard.edu/
- MIT Open Courseware- https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
- OpenLearn- https://www.open.edu/openlearn/
- Stanford Online- https://online.stanford.edu/
- Space Center Houston- Free App- https://spacecenter.org/app/
- Educational Space Center- https://spacecenter.org/hours/
National Parks and Gardens
- Cliffs of Moher- Virtual Tour- https://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/virtual-visit-tour/
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew - https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1084/gallery/
- Five National Parks- https://artsandculture.withgoogle.com/en-us/national-parks-service-
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico, Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah,Kenai Fjords National Park in Alaska, and Dry Tortugas National Park in Florida.
Theater and Opera