Programs Offered to Adults
The La Vista Public Library offers many programs to adults of the community. College students, working parents, and retirees will all find something of interest to them at the library! Come by yourself or with a friend. Below is a listing of current programs offered to adults. For information about these programs, email the library or call 402-537-3900.
Crafters, Makers, and Hobbyist Events
Coffee, Coloring, and Crosswords
The first Saturday of the month come to the library for a relaxing morning of coffee and crossword puzzles. Color a picture, read a book, and chat with others in this low-key adult only group.
Our next meeting is on...
- Saturday, April 1 at 10 a.m.
- Saturday, May 6 at 10 a.m.
- Saturday, June 3 at 10 a.m.
- Saturday, July 1 at 10 a.m.
The library holds a craft night just for adults once a month. From painting ceramics to making decorative drink coasters there is always something new to try making! These events are only for adults ages 18+.
Our next meeting is on...
- Thursday, April 13 at 6 p.m.
- Thursday, May 11 at 6 p.m.
Tips and Tricks Watercolor Classes
These watercolor classes are taught by local artist Cathy Placzek. Beginners and experienced painters are welcome. During this workshop class you will get instruction on how to improve your watercolor art and learn new techniques. The class is free but registration is required as a limited number of spots are available.
- Next Class: Saturday, April 8 - 1 p.m.
- Next Class: Saturday, April 29 - 1 p.m.
Fly-Tying - With the Nebraska Cornhusker Fly Fishers
Thursday nights from 6-8 p.m. the Nebraska Cornhusker Fly Fishers are at the library for fly tying. Anyone is welcome to join them (teens and children too). They will teach you how to make fly lures for fly fishing. They meet in the makerspace area so pop over and say hello!
The library currently has three book clubs adults can join. For more information on what these clubs are reading go to the Library's Book Club Page
- History Book Club Meets at 1 p.m. on Saturdays
- Saturday, April 8
- Saturday, May 13
- Saturday, June 10
- Evening Book Club Meets at 7 p.m. on Mondays
- Monday, April 10
- Monday, May 8
- Monday, June 12
- Afternoon Book Club Meets at 2 p.m. on Wednesdays
- Wednesday, April 19
- Wednesday, May 17
- Wednesday, June 21
- Page to Screen Book Club: Book Discussion Meets 6 p.m. on a Tuesday. Movie is shown at 12 p.m. on a Satuday.
- March Movie Showing: Moved to Saturday, April 1 at 12 p.m.
- April Book Discussion: Tuesday, April 18 at 6 p.m.
- April Movie Showing: Saturday, April 22 at 12 p.m.
- May Book Discussion: Tuesday, May 16 at 6 p.m.
- May Movie Showing: TBD (Prior date conflicted with Salute to Summer Festival)
- June Book Discussion: Tuesday, June 20 at 6 p.m.
- June Movie Showing: Saturday, June 24 at 12 p.m.
Educational Events and Programs
The library has a free GED program for adults. The program focuses on helping adults prepare for taking the GED test. Registration is required to join. If you want more information about how it works go to the Library's GED Program Page.
On the fourth Sunday of the month the Greater Omaha Genealogical Society (GOGS) hosts a free educational class on genealogy research. Come learn about the tools and tricks you can use to research your family history! These monthly sessions will be held until November 2023. Each session will cover a new topic. Below are some of the upcoming class topics. No registration needed. Just come when you feel like it!
- Sunday, April 23 at 1:30 p.m. (Organization)
- Sunday, May 28 at 1:30 p.m. (Cite Your Sources)
- Sunday, June 25 at 1:30 p.m. (Census Records)
- July - No Meeting
- Sunday, August 27 at 1:30 p.m. (Courthouse Records)
- Sunday, September 24 at 1:30 p.m. (DNA)
- Sunday, October 29 at 1:30 p.m. (Pre-1850 Records)
- Sunday, November 26 at 1:30 p.m. (Pitfalls and Lessons)
Computer Instruction sessions are offered to La Vista Public Library card holders to provide basic skills in specific areas of computer proficiency. Sessions are free to library card holders and a charge of $5.00 for nonmembers. The hands-on sessions are held in the library’s computer lab. Sessions will be offered on a one-on-one basis. Please contact Jean at the La Vista Public Library for an appointment for any of the following:
- Basic Computer, Basic Internet, Basic Word, Basic Excel, Facebook, Scanner, Digital Camera, ebooks and Overdrive, Publisher, Twitter, Blogging, Picasa & Flickr or Library resources (catalog and any of the databases).
Special Resources for Adults
Watt Detector Program
The La Vista Public Library has partnered with Omaha Public Power District to offer Watt Detector Kits, which are available for check-out by our patrons. With a Watt Detector, you can measure the amount of energy consumed by your appliances.
Studies show that people using electricity monitors will save between 5 and 20 percent on their utility bills by watching their energy use and making effective changes. See more information about the Watt Detector Program.